Monday, October 24, 2005

More random quotes from Blue like Jazz

I know these are a little scattered, and definitely random - just things that struck me as i read it...
I've finished it now.. REALLY interesting read. I'm looking forward to reading more of his stuff.


"Andrew would say that dying for something is easy because it is associated with glory. Living for something, Andrew would say, is the hard thing. Living for something extends beyond fashion, glory, or recognition. We live for wheat we believe, Andrew would say. If Andrew the Protester is right, if i live what i believe, that i don't believe very many noble things. My life testifies that the first thing i believe is that i am the most important person in the world." (111)

"If loving other people is a bit of heaven, then certainly isolation is a bit of hell, and to that degree, here on earth, we decide in which state we would like to live." (173)

"Living in community made me realize one of my faults: i was addicted to myself. All i thought about was myself. The only thing i really cared about was myself. I had very little concept of love, altruism, or sacrifice. I discovered that my mind is like a radion that pics up only one station, the one that plays me" (181)

"If we are not willing to wake up in the morning and die to ourselves, perhaps we should ask ourselves whether or not we are really following Jesus." (185)

"At the end of the day, when i am lying in bed and i know the chances of any of our theology being exactly right are a million to one, i need to know that God has things figured out, that if my math is wrong we are still going to be ok. And wonder is that feeling we get when we let go of our silly answers, our mapped out rules that we want God to follow. I don't think there is any better worship than wonder." (206)

"And that's when it hit me like so much epiphany getting dislodged from my arteries. The problem with Christian culture is we think of love as a commodity." (218)

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Hey Lady, I read some of the quotes of this book, and it looked really good, so it inspired me to buy it.. hehehe..

caricature said...

its worth it... interesting to say the least!