Monday, April 11, 2005

Elliot-itis

You may have forgotten my obsession with TS Elliot, due to my lack of quote postings which i promised in my very first post. However, i found this one (only today) and i really like it. (its only a portion from a whole long section called "Four Quartets" - this poems is the 2nd Quartet called "East Coker" and this is a small portion of it.) Its beautiful. If you have time some day, i'd seriously advise some Elliot immersion.
This part seems particularily pertinent as i consider being a grownup, and closing the era of my life which includes living at home and my entire childhood. Pretty exciting really.


"Home is where one starts from. As we grow older
The world becomes stranger, the pattern more complicated
Of dead and living. Not the intense moment
Isolated, with no before and after,
But a lifetime burning in every moment
And not the lifetime of one man only
But of old stones that cannot be deciphered.
There is a time for the evening under starlight,
A time for the evening under lamplight
(The evening with the photograph album).
Love is most nearly itself
When here and now cease to matter.
Old men ought to be explorers
Here or there does not matter
We must be still and still moving
Into another intensity
For a further union, a deeper communion
Through the dark cold and the empty desolation,
The wave cry, the wind cry, the vast waters
Of the petrel and the porpoise. In my end is my beginning."

I really need to get some sleep, but i thought i'd post one last great poem for you. its just the link, since its pretty long, but it is one of the best poems i've EVER read - and i'm really not a poetry person (apart from Elliot of course!)



Porphyrias lover

1 comment:

Beth said...

Carie,

I had no idea you were an Elliot fan. The Four Quartets is on my favorites list. It's incredible. It's like reading C.S. Lewis I think. There's so many layers I don't understand. My favorite is the last one - Little Gidding. You inspired me to go back and read it again

Poryphiras' (sp?) Lover - I knew I had read it before but I still forgot what happened. What a nasty little thing, very twisted.

So we should discuss The Four Quartets sometime, eh?

"We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time."